Sketching pencils are an indispensable tool for any design or sketching. You need to use good-quality pencils, whether its to draw out the composition of your painting or to sketch a masterpiece.
What do the different pencils grades mean?
Do you actually know what ‘HB’ means? Read on, to find out more.
- H stands for hard. The H grade pencil creates a lighter, finer line as it has more clay in its lead. The higher the number on the pencil, the lighter the lead is. A 9H pencil is the hardest and lightest pencil.
- B stands for blackness. The B grade pencil creates a bolder, darker line as it has more graphite in its lead. The higher the number on the pencil, the softer and darker the lead is. A 9B pencil is the softest and blackest pencil.
- F stands for fine point. The F pencil can be capable of producing both darker and lighter marks, and the leads can stay sharper for longer.
Uses for different pencil grades
It is important that you choose the correct pencil to create the masterpiece you want.
- H leads – H leads create clean lines and are smudge resistant, so they are good for doing outlines, light sketches and technical drawings.
- B leads – B leads smudge and can be easily erased, so they are suited for pencil drawings as they can create brush-like expressions and build texture.
- F leads – ideal for drawing fine details.
Loxley Sketching Pencils
A range of premium artists’ pencils for drawing, sketching and illustration work. The wood used is carefully selected from managed renewable timber which is then married with the finest grades of graphite to produce this superior product. They have a unique colour coded ends to match the grade to make it easier to select the right pencil whilst working on your artwork.
Available in 12 popular grades as well as a set.
Loxley Sketching Pencil Set
Loxley premium artists’ pencils in a presentation set of 12. The selection of grades enable diverse effects to be created making the set ideal for expressive free style sketching as well as detailed illustrative work. These pencils have a unique colour coded ends to match the grade to make it easier to select the right pencil whilst working on your artwork.
Grades included in this set are 8B, 7B, 6B, 5B, 4B, 3B, 2B, B, HB, F, H, & 2H
A range of quality drawing pencils made from managed renewable timber and the purest grades of graphite.
Available in 3 different sets, Technic, Art & Graphic.
Koh-I-Noor graphite pencils are made using a high grade of graphite and cedar wood to create this fine artists’ sketching pencil.
Available in 20 different grades as well as some assorted sets.
These professional quality pencils with extra thick leads are great for sketching, drawing and toning.
There are 7 different pencils available.
Solid Graphite Aquarelle Drawing Pencils
This special water-soluble pencil has a solid graphite woodless barrel with a coated surface. Great effects can be achieved and the pencil can be applied wet with water or dry shading can be blended with water once it is applied.
These solid graphite, woodless pencils are made to a high standard of quality and are specially coated to protect your hands from getting graphite on them while using them. They are great for all types of drawing and sketching, and are available in 5 popular grades.
Tag us on social media at #loxleyarts to share your masterpieces.